Moving into your new home is a big job. The further you plan in advance, the smoother it will go. This list contains most of the big tasks you’ll need to do and suggested time frames. Depending on your situation, you might be able to delete (or may need to add) some items.
8 weeks Before
- Call moving companies for estimates
- Remove and dispose of unnecessary possessions
- Start compiling an inventory of your possessions.
- Get a floor plan (with room dimensions) of your new home to help you decide which furnishing you want to keep and which room they will go in.
- Start a file of moving-related papers and receipts.
- Locate schools, healthcare professionals and hospitals in your new location.
- Arrange to transfer your children’s school records and family medical records.
6 Weeks Before
- Secure off-site storage.
- Choose a mover and sign contract.
- Contact your homeowner’s insurance agent about coverage for moving and secure.
- Contact insurance companies (auto, homeowners, medical and life) to arrange for coverage in your home.
4 Weeks Before
Create a file of important papers, such as auto license, registration documents and title; any medical dental and school records; birth certificates; wills, deeds stock certificates and other financial documents.
- Notify the following of your change of address:
- Post office
- Credit card companies
- Relatives and friends
- Insurance agent, lawyer, tax/financial advisor
- Magazine subscriptions
- Notify utility companies of date to discontinue/transfer service and/or establish service at your new home. Also arrange for final readings and bills, including refunds on prepaid services.
- Heating oil
- Internet service
- Natural gas
- Trash collection
- Notify your state’s department of motor vehicle of your new address/
- If moving from an apartment, arrange for refund of your security deposit.
- Discontinue additional home services (housekeeper, gardener/lawn service, snow removal, and pool cleaner)
- Start using up things you can’t move, such as perishables.
3 Weeks before
- Make travel plans.
- Make arrangements with condo or homeowners association to reserve elevator usage time if moving into or out of a high rise building.
- Arrange to close existing bank accounts and open new accounts in new area.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
2 Weeks Before
- Arrange special transport for your pets and plants.
- Contact your moving company and review arrangements for your move.
1 Week Before
- Pack moving-essential boxes–important documents, travel clothes, personal items and prescription medications.
2-3 Days Before
- Confirm all final arrangements with your mover and other service providers.
Article provided by Real Estate Buyers Agency Council